Privacy Notice & Cookies
Like everywhere you shop online, Boden collects your personal information. Think of it as our way of getting to know you better. It means your orders are processed lightning-fast and we can send offers tailored to you, for things that you’ll actually want (that spotted raincoat, for example). And if there’s a problem with your order (unlikely, but it does happen), it also means we can deal with it super-speedily.
手机凤凰体育Since we have your details, it only seems fair for you to have ours. JP Boden & Co. Ltd is a company incorporated in England and our company number is 2692601. We are a data controller registered with the Information Commissioner. When it comes to the information we have squirrelled away about you, we want to be totally upfront – honesty’s the best policy, after all. See below for how it all works. You can rest totally assured that we’re committed to protecting your privacy and the security of your personal information.
Still got a burning question? Feel free to contact us using any of the methods listed in our Contact Us手机凤凰体育 section.
At Boden, we are continuing to do everything we can do bring you joy throughout this time of uncertainty. Unfortunately, there’s a chance that there may be some delays in our responses to your data protection queries and requests during this time (we promise that we will try our very best to action them as soon as possible).
In addition, we are not working from our office at Boden House at the moment. As a result, we are unable to receive and action any letters that you send to us. If you need to contact us, please email or phone us using the details listed in the ‘Contact Us’ section.
手机凤凰体育The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has released some guidance on this subject which you can read .
手机凤凰体育A penchant for sparkly flats, an addiction to polka dots… what you order speaks volumes and this helps us learn what you like. Sometimes we use data from other companies that you’ve shopped with to tell us more. We like to get the full picture, you see: that way, our marketing is right up your street.
We may collect the following data about you, and we’ve explained the lawful basis (in brackets) and purpose for doing so in each case:
Your name, address and email address (contractual performance; legitimate interests; legal obligations; consent)
- We need to know these so that we can process the orders that you make on our website, send you email confirmations of your order, send those packages of style direct to your door, and verify your payment details (contractual performance).
- We like to keep you in the Boden loop so from time to time we’ll send you catalogues, special offers and promotions by post and email (legitimate interests).
- We also use your data for fraud prevention purposes, to verify you are really a customer shopping for appliqué T-shirts, rather than someone up to no good (legitimate interests).
- We need this information so that we can respond to your queries and occasional complaints (nobody’s perfect) (contractual performance; legitimate interests).
- We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us, to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout, to ensure that we provide you with the best possible service.
- We also use this data to send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services. It helps make our products or services more relevant to you (legitimate interests).
- Sometimes, we may need these details to send you communications that are required by law or necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you (legal obligations; contractual performance).
- When you leave a product review for us on our website (thank you), you’re given the option to provide your email address which we use to verify your review (legitimate interests).
- If you participate in our research activities (for example, customer WhatsApp groups, Customer focus groups, Boden Insiders), we’ll use your name in order to administer the group (consent).
Your payment card (contractual performance; legitimate interests)
- This one’s not exactly rocket science: we use this data to process your order, or to process refunds to you (contractual performance).
- In addition, we may use this data for fraud prevention and detection purposes. Don’t worry we process and store your card details securely in line with industry best practice, using techniques including encryption and tokenisation to keep you safe when shopping with us (legitimate interests).
Your date of birth (legitimate interests; legal obligation)
- This is optional. We like to know your date of birth – spoiler alert, but it means we might wish you a Happy Boden Birthday (legitimate interests).
- We always need to confirm that you’re over 18 so that we can legally enter into a contract with you (legal obligation).
- We may use this data for fraud prevention and detection purposes (legitimate interests).
Your phone number (contractual performance; consent)
- We ask for this so that we can call or text you about your orders, but it’s optional anyway. It’s handy when the courier can’t find your address, for example, or if there is a problem with your order (contractual performance).
- If you participate in our research activities (for example, customer WhatsApp groups, customer focus groups, Boden Insiders), we’ll use your phone number for administering the group (consent).
Your communication history with us (contractual performance; legitimate interests)
- We keep records of the live chats, telephone calls, emails and postal correspondence from you so we can provide you with the great customer service and support we’re known for (contractual performance). We may also use this data when training our staff, to make sure we continuously improve that customer service (we set our goal at ‘incredible’) (legitimate interests).
Information about your device and how you use our website (including your IP address, device type) (legitimate interests)
- We use this data to continuously improve our website, to set default options for you, and to show you the correct content (for example language and currency). We may also use it to develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide to you by say, recording your browser’s Session ID to help us understand more when you leave us online feedback about any problems you’re having. This data is also used to prevent and detect fraud.
Your responses to surveys, competitions and promotions (legitimate interests; contractual performance)
- This allows us to run all of these things. If we don’t use this data, you can’t win competitions or use promotions. Imagine.
- If you upload your photographs to BodenByMe (please keep them coming), these may be published on our website. If you take part in our research activities (for example, customer WhatsApp groups, customer focus groups, Boden Insiders), we’ll use your photographs to improve the products and services that we provide to our customers.
CCTV images (legitimate interests)
- Did we get your best side? To protect our customers, premises, assets and partners from crime, we operate CCTV systems in our stores and car parks that record images for security and crime prevention.
Your social media username (legitimate interests)
- If you interact with us on social media, we use this data to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
Your Internet Protocol (IP) address (legitimate interests)
- We collect information about your location through your IP address which helps us to show you content that is most relevant to you.
Any of your personal data (legal obligation)
- There may be situations where we are legally required to share your personal data, for example, when a court order is submitted to share it with law enforcement agencies or a court of law.
- If you don’t want to give us your data, you don’t have to. However, if you don’t, you may not be able to buy products from our website and catalogue, and you are unlikely to receive our best customer service. It’s your call.
We may have received personal data from third parties including data brokers such as Epsilon, Sub2 and Experian where they have received the individual’s name from another company that has indicated they wouldn’t mind receiving catalogues from us. If this applies to you, you can contact us using any of the methods listed in our Contact Us section at any time and ask us to remove you from our mailing list. We’ll be happy to oblige.
We may also receive data from third parties such as fraud detection agencies when we transact with you, so we can verify that you are actually you, not some (boring-clothes-loving) imposter.
手机凤凰体育There are circumstances where we may share some of your data with others:
- Delivery Companies / Couriers (contractual performance) – …so that your shiny new purchases can be delivered to you.
- Payment and Credit Agencies (contractual performance) - Think credit card reference agencies and credit card clearing agencies. We use these very reliable, very trustworthy companies to process the orders you place with us or help us in the services we provide to you. We couldn’t do what we do without them but, even so, we only give them the data they need to get the job done.
- Marketing Agencies (legitimate interests) - We also share your name, address, IP addresses, email address and transaction history with data selection analysts, data segmentation and ranking agencies, and email marketing agencies. It sounds very complicated but these organisations help us to analyse our customer base and to identify potential new customers, to target our marketing in a way that is most relevant for you, and show you the content that is relevant to you (based on your location). In all instances, we provide them with only the data they need to perform their function.
- Upon sale of business assets (legal obligation) - In the unlikely event that our business assets are sold or purchased by another company, our data records will be sold too as part of our business.
- Research Companies (legitimate interests) - We care what you think so we sometimes ask outside research companies to contact you directly for opinions on our products and services (again, we’ll only give them the data they need to get this done).
- Data Cooperatives (legitimate interests) – Subject to your marketing preferences, we may share your name, address, email address, phone number and details about what you’ve ordered from us with our data cooperative partners. These partners are 'members-only' clubs and manage prospect pools on behalf of UK retailers. As we’re all among friends, we share information on what our customers buy and this information is analysed by the data cooperatives to help us understand your buying patterns. This helps us plan what we send you, based on what you like to buy, whether it’s a reminder to stock up on shorts in May or 20% off partywear in November (because we know you do like to sparkle over Christmas). In addition, they analyse what sort of products might interest you and pass your name and address to companies whose products are likely to appeal to you. These companies may include, but may not be limited to, shops active in the clothing, collectables, food & wine, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods, and home interiors industries. To see why we do this and how it works, click .
手机凤凰体育In addition to our European customer service teams, we have a customer service centre in the United States. Sometimes, when we’re really busy, your calls or emails might go transatlantic. Say ‘howdy’ to our US colleagues.
Some of our third party processors may transfer your data outside of the EEA (namely to the United States of America). We ensure that it is subject to appropriate data security at all times and implement the right safeguards with these processors.
Please contact us手机凤凰体育 if you would like more information about how we protect your transferred data.
Emails: We love to talk to you but we understand that not everybody wants to receive our emails. We quite understand if you don’t, but remember that, if you unsubscribe, we won’t be able to send you sale details before anyone else. If you decide you’ve had enough Boden in your inbox for now, please update your preferences here or let us know via any of the methods in our Contact Us section. It may take around five working days to unsubscribe you.
Posted Mailing: Thanks, but no thanks. If you do not wish to receive any further posted mailings from us, please update your preferences here or get in touch with us via any of the methods in our Contact Us section. As catalogues get printed in advance, it can take up to six weeks for you to unsubscribe. But, trust us, we’re on the case.
Third Parties: If you don’t want us to share your data with third parties, you can change this at any time by updating your preferences here. Alternatively, tell us via any of the methods in our Contact Us section (please quote your account number, which can be found above your address on your latest catalogue).
Any other issues or queries: If for any reason you can’t update your preferences or have other queries relating to privacy, head to our Contact Us section and we’ll update them for you (we’re nice like that). Please make sure you include your full name and address, and your account number if applicable.
We don’t want to get all intense, but as long as you keep shopping with us we like to think we’re ‘in a relationship’. That means we keep a record of the story so far, from your first pair of animal-print boots to that classic wrap dress you wear all the time. This record helps us answer any questions about your order history – or take you on a stroll down memory lane. And we know when we’re not wanted. If you haven’t shopped with us for six years, we’ll come to the sad conclusion that we may have lost you, and delete your data from all our systems (sniff). Or you can ask us at any time – via any of the methods listed in our Contact Us手机凤凰体育 section – to erase it. (We will, pronto.)
手机凤凰体育We might also need to keep your data for important legal or audit purposes, to resolve disputes, and to prevent fraud and abuse. In these situations we may need to hold some of your data after you have closed your account.
- You have the right to be informed about how your personal data is being used. This is done, for example, through this privacy notice.
- You have a right to access any personal data we hold about you and we’ll deal with any subject access request within 30 days (we never like to keep you waiting). Please contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO) using the details listed in our Contact Us section, marking your request ‘subject access request’ and giving us your name, address, email address and account number so we can get hold of it in a jiffy.
- You have the right to ask us to stop or pause processing your data, erase your data or amend your data. Please get in touch with us via any of the methods listed in our Contact Us section if you’d like us to do any of these things, and as far as we’re able to (when taking into account our own legal obligations) we’ll make it happen. You can also amend your own personal data by accessing ‘Your Account’ on our website.
- You have the right to stop receiving direct marketing. Just ask us to take you off the list, via any of the methods in our Contact Us section.
- You have the right of portability over your data (i.e. you can ask us to pass the data we hold on you to a third party in machine-readable format). Let us know if you want us to do this using the details in our Contact Us section.
- If you have any complaints, you can contact us (see details below) and we’ll do our utmost to get to the bottom of things. If, after contacting our Data Protection Officer you feel your complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily, you have the right to contact the supervisory authority. The supervisory authority for data protection in the UK is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) which you can contact on 0303 123 1113 or via their website at .
You’ll also find more information about this in our Security FAQs section.
Under California law, who are residents of California have certain rights regarding their personal information. Please visit bodenusa.com for further information about your rights.
The Data Protection Officer
J.P. Boden & Co Ltd.
114–120 Victoria Road
Or call us on 0330 333 0000 (Mon–Sat: 8am–10pm, Sun: 10am–6pm)
手机凤凰体育In case you don’t know (lots of us didn’t)… Cookies are small text files that websites send to your computer, and can be thought of as Internet users’ identification cards. They let the website know when the user has returned, which enables the site to bring up information relevant to that user– name and past orders, for example.
手机凤凰体育Just to reassure you, cookies aren’t computer programs, and can't read other information saved on your hard drive. They can’t be used to disseminate viruses or, for example, get hold of a user's email address. They only contain and transfer to the website as much information as the users themselves have disclosed to that website. It’s possible to opt out of cookies via your browser’s cookie settings, but if you do this you won’t be able to shop from the Boden website as its functions depend on them. Please note that cookies are computer-specific, so if you log on to any site from a different computer, the cookie settings on that computer will apply.
For further information about managing and disabling cookies on your computer see .
手机凤凰体育When you visit our sites, cookies are either served directly by us, or by our business partners. These are the different kinds of cookies we use:
- Essential cookies: These cookies allow you to use the basic functionality of our website. For example, browsing our products, ordering and paying for items, checking your account information and viewing your order history.
- Performance cookies: They allow us to get to know how you use our website. They’re used to analyse visitor information such as usage and visitor numbers, so they help us to see how effective our advertising is and understand what you like. We also use this information to help improve our website, make our marketing more relevant and improve your experience.
- Functionality cookies: These ones allow us to provide additional functionalities to the website, and will retain some settings information. While they’re not essential for the functionality of our site, they do enable extra features that should make your shopping experience even better.
From time to time, we may make changes to this privacy notice in order to make sure that we are providing you with the most up-to-date information. If and when we make changes to this privacy notice, we will summarise the changes in this section. If the changes are significant, we may also chose to email our customers who have provided us with their email address. Any changes to this privacy notice will apply to you and your data immediately.
This privacy notice was updated on:
手机凤凰体育· 13 May 2020 to reflect the revised timeline for unsubscribing from catalogues from eight weeks to six weeks
· 6 April 2020 to include the ‘Data Protection and Coronavirus’ section